Jeff Gordman was president and CEO of Gordmans Stores Inc. (NASDAQ: GMAN) through March 2014. Upon assuming the helm of Gordman Stores in 1996, Gordman led a comprehensive repositioning of the Company, including an overhaul of the merchandising, marketing and stores strategy, the development of a store prototype growth vehicle and the execution of a store trade name change from Half Price Store to Gordmans, which was completed in fiscal 2000. Gordman sold the Company to Sun Capital Partners, one of the largest private equity firms in the country, in September 2008.
Gordman remained with Gordmans after the close of the transaction, expanding the store base by 40% over the most recent three-year period though fiscal 2013. In addition, Gordman led an initial public offering of common stock in August 2010 as well as a secondary public offering in May 2012.
Gordman joined Gordmans in 1990 and has held positions in merchandising, store operations and information technology. Prior to assuming his current position in 1996, Mr. Gordman led the conceptualization and implementation of the merchandise planning and allocation function, after which he was responsible for directing this business function.
Company Stage Focus: Startup, Early Stage, Turnaround/Distressed, Fortune 500, Public, Private, Family Owned
President & CEO, Gordmans Stores Inc.
Gordmans operated 95 everyday value price department stores in 20 states, employed 5,500 associates and generated annual revenues of $620 million.
• Turned around $170 million company that was on the brink of liquidation, successfully executing a multi- year major rebranding and repositioning strategy
• Recruited and developed an exceptional senior management team
• Sold the Company to Sun Capital Partners, one of the largest private equity firms in the country, in September 2008.
• After the sale, expanded the store base by over 40% in a 3-year period and led an IPO in 2010 with a follow-on offering
• Recipient of the 2011 Ernst and Young Entrepreneur of the Year award for the Central Midwest region.
• Gordmans was recognized by Forbes magazine as the 29th best small-cap company on its 2012 list of America’s 100 best small-cap companies.
• Gordmans was recognized by Apparel magazine as the 42nd leading apparel retailer on its 2013 list of the Top 50 leading apparel retailers based on profitability, product innovation and marketing excellence.
SELECT RETAIL PROJECTS
• Implementation of a merchandise planning and allocation function and associated technology
• Implementation of a robust markdown optimization technology and business process
• Development and implementation of a dynamic online business intelligence dashboard using OBIEE
• Development and implementation of an industry-leading, technology-based customer loyalty program
• Development of a robust store site selection methodology
• Development of an innovative store prototype layout and design
• Development and implementation of several television-based branding campaigns
• Implementation of a media buying process to optimize a $10 million television marketing budget.
• Development and implementation of a dynamic business planning process
•Regency Beauty Institute, $100 million operator of post-secondary cosmetology schools
•Hayneedle, $400 million ecommerce retailer of products for the home
• B.S. Economics, Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania (cum laude)
• M.S. Management, Sloan School, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Years Executive Experience: (18)
# of Board Roles: (3)
Company Size: ($501M-$1B)
• Retail – Merchandising
• Retail – Planning and Allocation
• Retail – Store Operations
• Retail – Site Selection
• B2C Marketing
• Guerilla Marketing
• Social Media
• Marketing Strategy
• Process Improvement
• Pricing Strategies
• Sales Forecasting
• Building a Management Team
• Budget, Cost & Internal Controls
• Business Valuation
• Financial Analysis
• Turnaround: Distress
• Turnaround: Bankruptcy
• Corporate Finance
• Company Sale
GORDMANS IPO ROAD SHOW VIDEO
• Investment Banking
• Real Estate
• Post-Secondary Cosmetology Schools