Interim CEO, COO, Turnaround
Gary Brooks is a senior operating executive (CEO/COO) with a focus on improved performance, profitability and growth. He has served as Interim COO to 27 under-performing manufacturers and distributors where he re-established a foundation of profitable growth. Gary is a financial and strategic adviser to family businesses and an expert witness opining on valuation and damage estimates in litigation. He is a visiting professor teaching entrepreneurship, supply chain & financial management.
SELECT INTERIM EXPERIENCE
Company Stage Focus: Early Stage, Late Stage Venture Funded, Private Equity Backed, Turnaround/Distressed, Public, Private, Family Owned, Bankruptcy
Interim COO, $30 million copper alloy producer & parts manufacturer.
After 3 years of substantial losses, restructured operations, restored key vendor relationships to ensure timely delivery of quality products. Avoided bankruptcy through improved management of assets allowing company to rebuild its international profile. Profitable operations and positive cash flow achieved in advance of recruiting permanent CEO.
Interim COO, $20M Metal Fabricator; subsidiary of Fortune 100 company.
Took a computer systems components manufacturer with losses and negative cash flow for 16 consecutive quarters to profitability and positive cash flow within 4 months. Restored market credibility and instituted a program of continuous improvement to secure major accounts.
Interim COO & Turnaround, $20M Manufacturer
$20 million manufacturer of wire rope and cables for use in power transmission and structural supports (e.g. bridges, elevators, cranes). Instituted major restructuring of plant scheduling and production control functions to improve productivity, revised cost system/pricing policy for better decision-making. Negotiated sale to European strategic buyer.
Interim COO, $25M Frozen Specialty Food Processor
Developed operating and financial restructuring plan, arranged refinancing, and provided on-going guidance to alter culture and reorient operating priorities. Served as interim Chief Operating Officer to accelerate turnaround.
Restructured $75M Clothing Manufacturer
$75 million manufacturer of children’s clothing sold principally through mass merchants e.g. Wal-Mart, K-Mart. Results of viability analysis required revised product strategies, consolidation of operations from 11 plants into four profitable production facilities. Restructured overseas procurement program to enhance cash flow and profitability.
Interim COO, $100M Clothing Manufacturer & Retailer
$100 million men’s clothing manufacturer: rationalized product line and consolidated accounts to achieve profitability. Restructured multi-location retail operations to reestablish sustainable competitive regional brand.
• Founder & Managing Partner of Alloment Partners Ltd., restructuring advisers to over 300 client companies
• As chair of the Certification Committee of the Turnaround Management Association, led the design and implementation of the Certification designation for turnaround professionals.
• First President, Association of Certified Turnaround Professionals
• National Chair, Institute of Management Consultants
• National Association of Corporate Directors, Blue Ribbon Panel. Fraud Detection & Prevention.
• Boundless Technologies, Inc. (ASE), a $60 million manufacturer of electronic equipment.
• Diomed Holdings, Inc. (ASE) $30 million designer and distributor of medical equipment. Member of Audit committee.
• VR Sim, Inc. Non-executive chairman of private technology intensive venture.
• Delacom Detection Systems, Inc. Director, strategic adviser. Early stage venture designing and marketing vapor detection systems.
OTHER EXECUTIVE EXPERIENCE
• Sold to AGFA Gavaert
• General Electric Company
• Eastman Kodak Co.
• VP Operations, U.S. subsidiary of Afga
• Division Executive, Scott Paper Company
• Managing Director, Central Fund of the Community Development Venture Capital Alliance
• Co-Founder & Managing Principal, Allomet Partners
•Mass. Institute of Technology: BS-Biochemical Engineering & Industrial Management
• University of Rochester: MS Chemical Engineering & Operations Research
• Certified Management Consultant (CMC)
• Certified Turnaround Professional (CTP)
• Listed in Who’s Who in America
Years Executive Experience: (40)
Years as an Interim Exec: (30)
# Interim Assignments: (27)
# Board Roles (8)
Company Size: (<$1M-$200M)
• Business Valuation
• Financial Analysis
• Budget, Cost & Internal Controls
• Corporate Governance
• Family Run Business
• Marketing Strategy
• Process Improvement
• Business Development
• Sales Management
• Sales Forecasting
• Pricing Strategies
• Client Relations Management
• Turnaround: Crisis Management & Bankruptcy
• Damage Assessments
• Direct Sales
• Operational Cost
• B2B Marketing
• Family Run Business
• Building a Management Team
• Paper Manufacturing & Converting
• Metals, Processing & Machining
• Food Processing
• Textile & Apparel
• Lumber & Wood Products
• Medical Products
• Healthcare Delivery
• Wholesale Distribution